Brookfield School

Principal's Message

Tēnā Koutou e te whānau,

Welcome to our Brookfield School website.  Brookfield is a small city school with 270 students.  Our small size is our strength as it allows us to foster a whānau / family friendly atmosphere where staff get to know all children well.  Parent participation is welcomed and we offer many opportunities for parents and families to come and engage with their children’s learning. 

The Treaty of Waitangi principles put our students at the centre of teaching and learning, asserting that they should experience a curriculum that engages and challenges them, is forward-looking and inclusive, and affirms New Zealand’s unique identity.

Experienced, highly skilled and committed staff work collaboratively to deliver quality education for our students. Staff have high expectations for all students.  The development of a Māori medium education Rumaki option for our whānau is an exciting new direction our school which began in 2015.  It runs alongside our English medium programme and gives a genuine choice of pathways for children to follow.  This will help us better meet the needs and expectations of our community.

A range of sporting and cultural activities are available for students to pursue.  We have optional gymnastics and Hip Hop lessons and foster a range of other sports. Our school size means children swim daily in warmer months.  We also offer Spanish, Sign Language, Mandarin, Te Reo Māori, Choir, Wearable Arts, Kapa Haka and a gardening group.  Senior classes have regular education outside the classroom experiences.  Each classroom is equipped with its own set of iPads and technology is integrated into the curriculum.   

Brookfield School is a signatory to the International Student Code of Practice.  The presence of international students in some classrooms provides our children with rich cultural experiences and helps prepare them to be members of a global community. 

We are well supported by our encouraging Board of Trustees. We are well equipped with a swimming pool, two adventure playgrounds, a large playing field, a fitness trail and netball courts. 

In 2023 Brookfield School looks forward to relocating 300 meters down the road, more information on this is to come over the next two years.  

Enjoy looking through our website and feel free to contact us if you have questions to be answered or would like a guided tour. 

Ngā mihi mahana

Ngaere Durie

Principal/Tumuaki